- What is a database?: use this interactive webpage to support students learning about how organisations and businesses collect and record data. As an extension activity students could investigate further an organisation/company which uses a database and report back to the class. BBC Bitesize
- Musical number patterns - The challenge: use this interactive game to support students to understand how to create patterns with a specific rule to produce the same sound pattern. Help students make connections to analysing data and understand that musical notes are data stored in a particular format.
- Binary Numbers - Count the dots: this lesson plan will help students to develop an understanding of how information is stored on computers.
- Binary Bracelets: students create bracelets from a paper template that is a binary representation of the first letter of their name. Students learn that the same set of data can be represented in more than one way.
- Four Graphs Story: the Australian Bureau of Statistics provide this assessment based activity where students demonstrate their ability to read, interpret and assimilate information presented in graphs and tables. This resource includes student and teacher templates/information and an assessment rubric.
- The Miniature Earth: this unit plan helps to simplify world population statistics for primary aged students. It requires students to think about the data and create a display to accurately present the data they collected using a digital tool.
- Data Representation - The NBA Store: this unit plan supports student learning about Microsoft Excel, they produce a picture graph representing the total revenues, expenses and profit/loss margins of a sports shop.
- We are similar but different: this English integrated unit explores data and graphing, where students analyse different types of data and demonstrate their understanding by creating texts.
- Binary Baubles: students learn about representing and storing letters in binary. They will explore how information can be stored with different combinations of just two choices of numbers 1 and 0.
- A School Like Mine: a sequence of lessons exploring data collection, sorting and analysis, in conjunction with the children's book 'A school like mine'.
- Here's a graph of how people get to work - this video can be used as a support resources to help students to start analysing how data can be represented and recognise different types of data representation.
Previous Page | Next Page